|Kingfisher Bay at dusk. Fraser Island, Unesco World Heritage site. Biggest sand island in the world. Queensland, Australia.|
|Mineral-rich water trickling to the beach. Fraser Island, 75-mile beach, Queensland, Australia.|
Fraser Island Tour and
Fraser Island Mangrove Misadventures
Your turn.... This is fun!
- How many Unesco World Heritage sites have you visited? (note: some are tricky - for example - New Caledonia's sites are listed under "France" and Puerto Rico's under the US)
- Which are your favorites?
- Which are the top ones on your "bucket list"?
- What do you believe should be on the list, and is not (note: here are some suggestions on the World Heritage website)?
- Which seem ridiculous? I would vote to take Panama's Portobello off the list. Yes, there's a fort there, but it's pretty unimpressive as far as forts go.
Let me know!
|Cicada "moulting" found on our Fraser Island night tour.|
We heard the cicadas odd serenade every night at dusk
on Fraser Island, Queensland, Australia. Will eventually post
an audio of their song. Meanwhile, here a similar-sounding
cicada song for you to listen to from Wikipedia.
Note: Google account required for replies in comment section (scroll to the bottom of blog post for comments section) - my apologies - the downside to using Blogger for my host. Google accounts are free. If you don't have one, they're worthwhile. Or, if you do and lost your password, Google's password recovery/reset is pretty easy to use.
|Fraser Island soldier crab digging in to hide. Watch for upcoming videos of this|
and hundreds of soldier crabs trooping across the beach. Queensland, Australia.
We visited Fraser Island (S25.22.852 E153.01820, near Kingfisher Lodge) recently, November 19-24, 2016. We are currently in Australia's Gold Coast, near Steiglitz (S27.145.299 E153.21.258) portion of Queensland.
|For scale - a soldier crab is below of Eve of Auntie's foot.|
Cruising By the Numbers
- Our November 2016 sail from New Caledonia to Australia, 790 miles
- Our September 2016 sail from Vanuatu to New Caledonia was 305 miles.
- Our August 2016 sail from Fiji to Vanuatu was 525 miles.
- We cruised just under 440 miles in Fiji, between late May and early August.
- Our May 2016 sail from New Zealand to Fiji was 1090 miles.
- December 2015 - May 2016 if we weren't cruising New Zealand or hunkering, we were making massive road trips from New Zealand's tip to its tail.
- From December 2014 - November 2015 we sailed from Northern Florida's Atlantic side to New Zealand, over 10,000 miles, with more than a few stops in between.
- December 2013 - May 2014 we sailed 1792 miles from Jacksonville Florida to the Bahamas and back.
- March 2012 we bought Journey in St. Lucia. September 2012 we moved aboard, did some boat work, then sailed her to Jacksonville Florida by June 2013, 3762 miles.
|Sunset, Fraser Island, Queensland, Australia.|